Health and Wellness
Periodontitis, also known as periodontal disease, is a chronic inflammatory disease of the tissues that support the teeth including the gums and bone. Nearly half of the American adult population (47%) have chronic periodontitis. Periodontal disease affects much more than just the mouth. Oral health and systemic health are interdependent.
- Poor oral health affect systemic health
- Systemic health has effects on oral health
- Poor oral health my suggest systemic problems
Inflammation is implicated in many chronic diseases and may be one of the key links between oral and systemic health.
The following is a list of systemic conditions that are considered to have a central inflammatory component.
- Diabetes mellitus
- Atherosclerotic vascular disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes